I have been making French Toast since I was about 6 years old. It was one of the first things I ever learned to cook by myself and I remember dragging a chair over to the stove so I could be tall enough to reach it! To this day, it remains one of my favorite breakfasts and I make it frequently for my family. It really is so simple and the outcome is delicious!
Since we have our own little flock of chickens, we are fortunate to get fresh eggs every morning. We tend to rotate our breakfasts between scrambled eggs, french toast and pancakes since we are always trying to use up the eggs!
- 4 large slices of bread
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk (I use almond but any kind will work)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- various toppings: fresh fruit, syrup, jam, cinnamon, etc
- Heat up a skillet on medium heat, make sure you spray it with cooking oil or melt a bit of butter on the bottom.
- Using a whisk, mix your eggs, milk and vanilla together in a wide shallow bowl.
- Dip each piece of bread in the egg mixture and flip to make sure the entire piece of bread is coated.
- Pan fry in the skillet until the edges are slightly browned.
Have fun trying new toppings for your French Toast. My husband prefers it with agave syrup, our toddler likes jam, and I like cinnamon with a bit of sugar. You can also use fresh fruit, powdered sugar & cocoa, pancake syrup, etc.