As many of our readers know, I own a travel agency that specializes in Walt Disney World Vacations, and I go to the Disney Parks almost daily to take photos, have fun and learn as much as I can about Disney travel. Well, during the International Flower and Garden Festival in Epcot I came across this brick retaining planter wall.
Super Cute! Right?!?!? Well, lucky for us, Disney provided instructions on how to make this fantastic wall planter!
- Lay bottom course of concrete blocks, angling blocks occasionally to make plant pockets.
- Lay second course “stair step”, so cells at end of bottom course are exposed. Angle blocks occasionally to make plant pockets, but not directly over bottom plant pockets.
- Lay top course similar to others.
- Once you are happy with the design, remove sections and glue together with outdoor adhesive or mortar. Weight top cells with extra blocks until cured.
- Drive metal stakes through open cells and into the ground, every 2-3 blocks. Partially fill staked cells with mortar if you need extra stability.
- Push piece of hardware cloth into bottom of open cell to hold plat. Glue in place with outdoor adhesive.
- Cut piece of landscape fabric and lay on top of hardware cloth to hold soil. adhesive.
- Fill cell with lightweight potting soil and plant with succulents or other drought-tolerant species.