Since I’m just about out of the first trimester, I thought I’d share the top 10 things I felt were must have’s for me during my first few months of pregnancy. This is also my first pregnancy and although I’ve read lots of books, read lots of online articles, and got advice from many moms, I’m still learning as I go.
1. Prenatal Vitamins: I’m sure you’ve already been told by your doctor that these are must haves, and if you started reading the books before you conceived, then you probably started taking them while you were trying to get pregnant (as I did). We all want to give our babies the best chance for their health right, so let’s start as early as possible. There are many different brands out there and if you can’t stand swallowing the huge pills, there are gummy ones available. These are what I take, and I find I look forward to taking them as they taste like candy! I’ve seen a couple different brands of these out there, but Target makes their own kind and they are far cheaper than the others I’ve found. They also have DHA in them which is an added plus.
2. Body Pillow: I actually haven’t had too much trouble sleeping so far, but the body pillow is a nice thing to have. I’m sure it will come in very handy as much tummy grows as well. My biggest issue right now is fighting my dogs for use of the pillow as they seem to think I bought it for them. Luckily the pillow is very large so right now we compromise and at least one or 2 of my dogs end up sharing the pillow with me at night. (And it is them sharing with me as I’m lucky if I get the very bottom right corner for myself and the 2 of them sprawl out on the rest of the pillow). I assure you this will change as I need the pillow all to myself in the future. 🙂
3. Plenty of fresh fruits and veggies. Self explanatory that they are healthy for both you and baby. If you’re able to, try to eat organic as much as possible. If you have a Trader Joe’s nearby, they have some excellent Organic produce at good prices. Some of my favorites have been: kiwi, oranges, celery, tomatoes, pineapple, strawberries and raspberries.
4. Other Healthy Foods: also self explanatory. Snack often in smaller amounts. Some of my favorite snacks are celery sticks with laughing cow spreadable light cheese on it (or cream cheese), snap peas, organic whole grain bread (Trader Joes) with some peanut butter, frozen grapes, Cottage cheese and organic applesauce, free range eggs hardboiled, berry smoothies made with a variety of berries and almond milk.
5. Starburst candy: this is a tip from my friend Aunesty here at Homeketeers. For those of you who have morning sickness, she recommends eating some Starburst candies as they taste as good coming back up as they do going down! Even though I have been lucky so far and not experienced the horrible morning sickness, I think I will get some Starburst anyways – it’s a great excuse to enjoy those delicious little candies!
6. BE Band or Bella Band: The same thing really. The Bella Band is more expensive and is sold online and in maternity stores. The BE Band is made by the same company but its sold at Target for $20 or less. I invested in one a couple weeks ago and although I didn’t need it then, I need it now! I can still wear my regular jeans but they are so much more comfortable with the button undone and the Band help keep them up. Brilliant.
7. Quiet time: Really really enjoy your quiet time now while you can. Take some moments just for yourself and curl up with a good book or magazine. Soon enough you will hardly have any time to yourself and you’ll miss those wonderful quiet moments of solitude.
8. Fluids: drink lots and drink often. Obviously water is best, but if you just can’t stomach all that water, opt for fresh juice (not from concentrate). I love the Tropicana Orange juice with the extra calcium added. Also I read that by drinking a glass of cranberry juice each day helps ward off UTI’s. Whether it does or not, it’s a little excuse to enjoy another glass of juice, so I’ll take that. 🙂
9. Lotion: Because I want to try to avoid stretch marks, I rub lotion all over my stomach every night. (also I’ve noticed that my stretching skin has become itchy so the lotion helps). I keep several on my night stand and rotate through them, but all of them are all natural (don’t want to mess with any that have chemicals of any sort right now). My favorites are: L’Occitane Shea Butter, Korres Body Butter, and Virgin Coconut Oil (this is also great to use on your hair too!).
10. Massage: If you can convince your significant other to give you a nice shoulder rub or foot rub, then enjoy every second of it 🙂 I’m lucky that I have a fabulous hubby who will usually give me back rubs on a nightly basis.
For more great tips and pregnancy must haves, join in our conversation here.
Photo sources: google images
Leave a Reply